Pages

Monday 23 May 2011

Mothers Bribe!!!!!

I remember when Samridhi was 6 or 7 yrs old.We were in Chandigarh. Devyani was asleep. Samridhi was as usual watching me get ready....with a sullen face! It always annoyed her when she saw me going out with R. That moment her face was flushed, her tears fresh! She asked me not to go, & yet I went...to a dinner where I would'nt be missed. She was right when she screamed. My staying at home would have mattered- to her & me!!So why did I leave you & go? Because we adults are cowards. We get our priorities wrong. We give undue importance to unimportant things. When R & I got back at midnight, Muniya had put her to bed. She said that Sam had refused dinner. I felt so small & wretched. When I saw her the next morning, I was still feeling awful. But she had forgotten. A big smile & she asked me "can I have ice-cream in my milk"? It stung me more than a slap. I winced. I made a peace offering of her favourite food.  It was pretty sly of me coz she was so unsuspecting. But that;s how mother's operate. Any trick for a little peace!! It does'nt always work, but who says we have to stop trying??

1 comment:

  1. true. i'm guilty as charged too. and drowning in guilt later.

    ReplyDelete