Pages

Monday 9 May 2011

Music for the soul!

As the rain leaves a zillion drops in my lush 10ft by 10 ft balcony,i'm lifted with their gentle rhythm.I tune into some of the songs which make my head spin in a flashback mode.It's a relief from that blighter,today's hot craze..whatshisname reshamiya or mika or any of those jarring singers who make you wish you were deaf! Almost always mt favourite ditties guarantee me reprieve,and I keep asking myself,what's with songs that make us jump with joy & sometimes leaves us wistful!
         I have a confession to make,other than the Eagles Hotel California or Frank Sinatra's Strangers in the night my mind buzzes back yo those lovely halcyon days of hindi tracks.When I hear "chood do aanchal"picturized on Dev Anand, was such a big debonair song; the 50's equivalent of ""cool'"The ched chaad was so true, so endearing. Geeta Dutt's 'mujhe jaan na kaho meri jaan"'an exquisite Gulzar number from Anubhav. The rain humming outside Tanija spoke of her yearning that could'nt have been expressed better!
                      My ultimate romantic no is Äbhi na jao chood kar"". The tenderness,the longing: you can feel DevAnand & sadhana are trying to seize the moment.Songs like these make us yearn for the past. They fill our heads with happy visuals, make us cry & want that simple life.They make you live your dreams vicariously.
    We switch tracks..we switch generations.So it has to be RD's Rimjhim gire saawan or Bheegi Bheegi Raaton Mein..or Mera Kuch Saaman.Cant pinpoint one reason why these songs make us into a  marshmellow! It could be a failed love, it could be a love that didnt find a reason ..but these songs just turn the right knobs!
     We never forget anything.Time changes nothing.It simply rearranges memories like the movie tracks on a CD changer!The rain taps incessantly but I wont be alone..my music is with me & understands my moods like no human being can!

No comments:

Post a Comment