Pages

Friday 13 May 2011

Memories!!

Time flies and how!!It all seems just yesterday,I still remember my Father exhorting me , without looking at any watch, to hurry up for school even as Saigal's metifluous voice from the old Philips radio reverberated in our house.And the clock would strike 8 in no time!!

Saigal holds a lot of fond memories for me. A part of my childhood has a lot of Saigal in it. My grandfather made a big handsome house for my grandmother & would render"" ëk bangla bane nyara"!! Later on my dad followed the same route & would hum ""do naina matware tihare"'when my mom sulked!! I have hummed "so ja rajkumari"' to my daughters giggles at my rendition with a deliberate nasal tone!!This explains why he is a household name!

I have heard him since my infancy & still admire his songs being on the wrong side of 40!. His songs are like a soothing balm in this hurly burly of MTV & Channel V.Even now in one of my nostagic childhood memories I see the time & if it's 7.55 am I remember Saigal & Sri Lanka Broadcasting Society  a la Purane filmon ke sangeet!!All the memories of my grand dad singing in his deep resonant voice "babul mora naihar chooto hi jai!!"""brings a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye!! Ah the simple pleasures of childhood!!!


1 comment:

  1. you do have a lyrical way with words my dear...and this quality would have been nurtured with the choice of living, of being in the present, of gardening and listening to music and having your family, plants and pets all around... I can relate to your thoughts as if I have written them myself!

    ReplyDelete